Home Forums Trusted HTML, CSS & JS Minification

This topic contains 23 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Andy 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

paulmcf87
    Participant

I have been trying to speed my site up before launching. I have used hummingbird to control the caching of the pages which works fine.

I have tried various plugins to minify/combine the HTML, CSS and JS but each plugin seems to have some sort of negative effect on the site.

Hummingbird for example, messed up the CSS customisations, both my own from my child theme style sheet and the customisations that were made via the dashboard customizer.

Other minification plugins had effects on my woocommerceproduct catalogue, in that the page loaded but no products would be displayed…

Is this an issue that you know of?

any ideas how to fix?

Andy
    Keymaster

It is not an issue that we are aware of, but it’s worth bearing in mind that all caching plugins that we have experience of, seem to have their own quirks. Especially so when in combination with other plugins that you may be using. There are potentially millions of different combinations of plugins that can be active on a WordPress install, so it may be worth temporarily disabling your active plugins (except the caching plugin) and then clearing and rebuilding the cache/minified files to see if there is any plugin conflict.

I don’t know if you are using the theme’s reveal animation effects (Appearance > Customize > Theme Options) but if you are, it may also be worth disabling this setting and then see if the caching/minification works as expected. We haven’t had any issue with but it may be something to try.

paulmcf87
    Participant

@andy is there a minification/combine plugin that you would recommend?

I have used Breeze, Hummingbird, Fast velocity minify, all of which have issues. the caching is fine, no issues there

paulmcf87
    Participant

or, is there any files that might be best excluding from the Minification?

I have tried your recommendations above but does not make any difference

Andy
    Keymaster

Have you tried W3 Total Cache?

Do you still see the minification issues if you switch to a different theme?

Would you mind sharing your site URL? I can take a quick look and see if there is anything immediately obvious that could be causing the issue.

paulmcf87
    Participant

@andy different themes work fine, no issues at all.

I am now using a CDN to apply the minifications etc and it is working better, however there should be a recently viewed products widget that is not displaying on the homepage.

My URL is https://supplementgenie.co.uk

I dont think I will be continuing with the CDN though as it has not made much difference for speed. so I am concerned that all the other issues will come back

Any help just now for the homepage recently viewed widget would be great and could potentially help me solve the other issues if they come back

Thanks

Andy
    Keymaster

I can see you are running your own bespoke child theme. If you temporarily switch the active theme to ‘Trusted’ (not your Trusted child theme) do the issues you have described go away?

One of the reasons I ask, is because the child theme is loading assets such as stylesheets in a non-standard way that is not recommended for WordPress themes, so just wondering if that could have an affect on the minification.

Andy
    Keymaster

In which widget area have you placed the Recently Viewed Products widget?

paulmcf87
    Participant

@andy Same problem when I change to the Trusted theme, still not showing the widget.

The widget is placed in the footer, it comes in from the left below the products shown on the homepage, its id is “#secondary”

Andy
    Keymaster

The #secondary element is only used for the sidebar and not for the footer, so are you sure you have added the widget to the footer?

If so, which widget area have you added the recently viewed products? Footer Column 1, 2 or 3? Or is it the Middle Footer widget area?

Your own custom child theme looks like it is overriding the Trusted footer area, so it may be that your child theme does not have the same widget areas in the footer.

paulmcf87
    Participant

@andy I have added my own custom footer to the page which suits my needs.

As mentioned, when I remove any minification etc, the widget works fine.

You should find, that if you check now, the widget works fine. I have disabled the CDN.

Also, as mentioned, I have issues with CSS when I minify with other plugins, in that, any changes that I make using the customizer via the WordPress dashboard are lost.

paulmcf87
    Participant

It was still playing up after disabling the CDN so I also had to disable Gzip and Caching…

Andy
    Keymaster

Yes I can see the recently viewed products widget displayed now.

As I suspected, you have added the widget to the sidebar (not the footer) but you have added your own custom CSS in your custom child theme, which is making the sidebar full width and so moving it down to below the main page content, thus giving the appearance that it is just above the footer.

The content of the recently viewed products widget is generated dynamically and would obviously be different for each visitor to your site, so it could be that your minification and/or cache settings are not taking this into account.
    It could be caching the recently viewed products as empty, because on first loading this area will be empty as no products will have been viewed.

You could try adding some text content to that widget area just to test and see if this content is always visible.

paulmcf87
    Participant

@andy I have tried submittin a reply but I am getting an error message

paulmcf87
    Participant

@andy

I have tested by adding products, going back to the homscreen and nothing appears. I also have issues with minification/combining plugins, as mentioned, where css added via the dashboard cusomizer does not show, and on occasions products from my catlogue do not appear

I have had a recently viewed products widget on my previous theme and never encountered these issues or any of the other afore mentioned issues

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  paulmcf87.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.